Image Map

Monday, December 23, 2013

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

Hi there!

A few days ago my family and I went down to my grandmother's house for our family Christmas, and I wanted to bring a dessert that all the kids would like. I was originally planning on making red velvet cupcakes, but I realized that two bottles of red food dye still wasn't enough. I want to try making them with beet juice, I think that would be legit.

Anyways, here is a recipe for chocolate cupcakes with peppermint icing. The cupcakes are delicious, but I will admit that the frosting just depends on your taste preferences. Personally I thought it tasted a bit like sugary toothpaste, but other people told me that it was delicious. So it's really up to you!
Also, I wouldn't necessarily say these cupcakes are "healthy" like most of my other posts, but I mean...they're cupcakes, and they were for a party. 


Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes {makes one dozen}

1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch pressed cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup almond, soy, or rice milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 granulated sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 to 1 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Peppermint Frosting:

8 oz. Tofutti cream cheese {room temp}
8 oz. vegan butter or shortening {room temp}
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract
Red food coloring {optional}
1 bag of crushed peppermint 



Preheat the oven to 350.
Put the milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes until it "curdles."
Add the rest of the liquid ingredients and the sugar.
Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Then pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour into cupcakes liners and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.

For the icing, put the cream cheese and shortening into the electric mixer on low. One cup at a time, add the powdered sugar. I basically just add a cup until I like the texture of the frosting. After the cupcakes have completely cooled, spread your frosting and sprinkle your peppermint pieces and viola!



Recipe was adapted from www.tofutti.com


No comments:

Post a Comment