Image Map

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pomegranate Sweet and Sour Stir Fry

Today my mom is finally coming back home from her trip, so it was the last day I had to play the mother and cook all the meals for everyone (hallelujah). After church my dad and I decided to keep it simple by going over to Pure Healthy Eatery for lunch. Seriously, I feel so lucky to have this place near my house. 


This was their black bean burger and air-fried sweet potato fries. Why don't all restaurants do it that way? They also have gluten-free bread as an alternative (cha-ching).


This was the California Cobb salad (minus the egg and cheese) and it was really tasty as well. The jellyfish-looking specimens in the center are "sweet and sour" red onions. That was a first. I think spinach salads are just superior to normal salads...mainly because I feel like lettuce is the equivalent of eating air. But that's just me.

After lunch, my dad and I jetted over to the grocery store, and on the way I had to come up with an idea for dinner. I was in the mood to try something new, but quick and simple at the same time. So probably like most women I pulled Pinterest up on my phone and started scanning through my pins I had previously saved. Luckily it didn't take long for this lovely dish to catch my eye: 
Pomegranate Sweet and Sour Tempeh
However, we had just had tempeh the other day, so I just improvised by switching my protein to edamame. (I also needed to change a few ingredients to make it a bit healthier)


Ingredients:  4 Servings

  • 1 cup pomegranate juice, chilled
  • 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or agave nectar)
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (not flour)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 bag of frozen edamame (out of shell)
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed
  • 1/4 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup carrot rounds
  • 1/4 mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup pineapple chunks  
  • 2 cups of quinoa 







Method:

  1. Whisk the pomegranate juice, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, tamari, tomato paste, Sriracha sauce, plum vinegar, tapioca starch, and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. 
  2. Simmer the sauce on medium heat on the stove, stir continuously until the sauce is thick (about 5 minutes) Then set aside.
  3. Boil the quinoa until there is a visible ring around the kernels
  4. In a large skillet, add some coconut oil and begin to add your vegetables. I add the ones that take the longest to soften first: bell pepper and carrots > broccoli > edamame and snap peas > mushrooms > pineapple
  5. Once your vegetables have reached the desired tenderness, serve on a bed of quinoa and drizzle away with your sauce!


 Just FYI, once my sauce was made I added more Sriracha sauce and a bit more agave, you can adjust it however you like.

This recipe was adapted from www.onegreenplanet.org, check it out for more recipes, or other healthy lifestyle inspiration.

Let me know in the comments below if you tried this recipe, or if you have any recommendations for me to test out!


No comments:

Post a Comment