Image Map

Saturday, June 22, 2013

The TLT

A couple weekends ago I ventured over to Austin, TX, for a Mumford and Sons concert at the new Austin 360 Amphitheater. I was really excited, not only because of the show, but because Austin is so well known for its incredible options for vegan dining. I came across this adorable little food truck called the Vegan Yacht. I pulled over right away and decided to give it a go. Most of the menu was sold out since I came so late in the afternoon, so i opted for the TLT (you know...like a BLT minus the swine) and it was surprisingly delicious. I was so impressed in fact that I decided to take a wack at it for myself at home. I present to you...the TLT.
 

TLT:

2 slices of sourdough bread
3 strips of original tempeh (Turtle Island's Tofurky; can be found at HEB and other grocery stores)
lettuce
tomato
Veganaise Better Than Mayo (I buy the soy-free one, by the brand Follow Your Heart. You can get it at Trader Joe's or Sprouts, or any other health food store)
coconut oil

Method:

Slice the tempeh into small strips. Heat a small scoop of coconut oil on a skillet and lay the strips of tempeh down. Let the tempeh brown on one side before you flip it to the other.
While you're waiting, stick the sourdough bread into the toaster for as long as you like.
Once the bread and tempeh are finished–you know what to do. Build your TLT!



I ate mine with some carrot sticks and apple slices, but if you're more like my dad, bust out that bag of potato chips and enjoy.

Have you ever had a TLT? Do you have any suggestions to make my recipe better? Let me know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE tomato sandwich lover, especially right now when the heirloom tomatoes from my garden are ripe and delicious! I'm not a big fan of fake meat, so I just skip it all together, but instead of mayo I use homemade hummus. For a tomato sandwich I find its best to blend up the hummus with extra garlic and lemon juice. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea. I love hummus, and making it yourself saves a lot of money!

      Delete