Image Map

Monday, June 24, 2013

Quick! Make a Taco Salad

Sometimes you just don't have time to cook, or maybe you just don't feel like it. I think that's usually when it's tempting to bust out the processed food from the freezer–hot pockets, chicken nuggets, pizza–but it's really not necessary. There are many healthy options that you can easily whip up on a time crunch. For example: taco salad.

I love to make myself a taco salad for lunch right before I need to leave to go somewhere. It's just a ridiculously easy thing to make.



To build a great taco salad, here are the basics:
  • A leafy green. I used a spring mix, but you could even use spinach leaves if you like.
  • A bean. I prefer black beans, but sometimes I'll use pinto beans or even re-fried beans. Central Market came out with a canned re-fried bean that is completely healthy.
  • Corn. Something about corn just always makes a dish feel more Mexican. I like to get the Central Market frozen sweet corn. Central Market is certified non-GMO.
  • Salsa! Check the ingredients on your salsa to make sure it doesn't have anything ridiculous. 
  • Extras: Avocado/Guacamole. Luckily HEB makes fresh tubs of it daily. I always hit that up when I'm at the store. I also added mushrooms, but you could really just get creative with it.
  • *I seasoned my beans for more flavor: cumin, garlic & onion powder.
 Taco salads are pretty much a staple for lunch in the summer for me. The ingredients are things that we constantly have in the house anyways. So it's a pretty reliable and convenient meal. 

You could take it a step further and wrap it up in a tortilla to make it more filling if you wanted to. I bet that would be delish.

What's your favorite thing to put on a taco salad?

2 comments:

  1. Lini,
    I LOVE the taco salad too! I'm also a BIG fan of spicy! I make a roasted poblano dressing that turns out "creamy" but actually has NO dairy. I roast about 3 poblano peppers until they get a good char on the outside. Then throw them in a blender with 1 small red onion, half a bunch of cilantro, the juice from 2-3 limes, 3 large cloves of garlic, a big handful of spinach leaves salt and pepper and 3T honey. Blend on high until smooth, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil while blender is running to emulsify. It's SUPER creamy and spicy good! Great on salads or even as a vegetable dip!
    I love your blog! -Michelle Anslinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds really good, I will definitely try it out (:
      Thank you!

      Delete