Image Map

Thursday, July 11, 2013

What Vegans Eat for Breakfast: Oatmeal Bowl

A pretty common question I get is, "What does a vegan eat for breakfast?!" Although there are many breakfast options, I'm a sucker for a good oatmeal recipe. I eat oatmeal every morning, and I never get tired of it. Mainly because there are so many different ways to change it up to keep it from getting boring. So, here is my typical everyday oatmeal bowl recipe. I will post more recipes involving oatmeal soon!




What you need:

1/2 to 1 cup Old Fashion Rolled Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 ripe banana
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 (or more) sliced strawberries
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans here. Sometimes I used walnuts or almonds)
2 tbsp hemp hearts
2 tbsp chia seeds
1-2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (optional)
cinnamon

Method:

Put the oats in a small pot and add water. (I find that if I am cooking on a gas stove I need more water, but on an electric stove I need less.)
Once the oatmeal has absorbed all the water, pour into a bowl.
Smash your banana until it makes a smooth paste-like substance. Stir into the oatmeal.
Add everything else!
The almond milk is optional. After adding all the flax/chia/hemp seeds, it can become extremely dry. The almond milk works great to make it creamy again.

I love adding smashed banana to my oatmeal because it makes it perfectly sweet without having to add any sweeteners or sugar.

Some days I'll be craving some chocolate, so I will put some raw cacao powder in my oatmeal with a whole smashed banana. You can even throw in some peanut butter and you would have a little Reese's peanut butter cup theme going.




No comments:

Post a Comment