Image Map

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Independence Week Round-up: Brownie Kabobs & Cheezecake

The Fourth of July holiday time was too busy for me to blog, so I will sum it up in one post. The holiday was expanded into an entire week for my family which was a lot of fun. 

My family and I drove down to my grandma's house for our family get-together on the 3rd, and I brought a couple dishes along with me. (Usually to make sure that I get to eat desert also :D)

Black Bean Brownie Kabobs


For the brownies (adopted from chocolatecoveredkatie.com):

2 15oz cans of black beans (no ingredients added)
4 tbsp. cocoa powder (no sugar added)
1 cup of dry oats (quick oats work the best, but old fashion is fine as well)
2/3 cup of agave nectar or maple syrup
4 tbsp of coconut sugar (or just add more agave/syrup)
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of applesauce (no sugar added)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup + 1/3 cup of dairy free chocolate chips (not optional!)

Icing:
Vegan cream cheese
lemon juice
maple syrup
powdered sugar

For the kabobs:
Kabob sticks
Strawberries
Blueberries

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Blend all the ingredients except the chocolate chips into a blender or food processor. Then stir in the chocolate chips in with a spoon. Place in the oven and bake for about 25 min. When the timer goes off I usually just poke the center with a fork, and if it comes out clean then it's done. Otherwise keep it in for about 2-3 minutes longer.


 Once the brownies are done, let them cool off and sit for awhile.
Next, make the icing by adding all the ingredients into a food processor. Pour into a bowl and put it in the fridge until it thickens.



Once the icing has thickened, I spread it on each brownie piece. Then I just began loading each kabob! 

They were a big hit with the kids! (And adults too)

 
That night I had also made another desert, which was a raw vegan "cheesecake."

Star-Spangled Cheezecake (adopted from keyingredient.com)


What you need:
2 cups macadamia nuts
1 1/2 cups cashews
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup shredded coconut
6 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp water
berries for decoration

Method:

Soak the macadamia nuts and cashews in water overnight or at least 5 hours. (Pain in the butt, I know.)
Blend the macadamia nuts and dates in a food processor until it becomes crumb-like.
Sprinkle the shredded coconut flakes onto about an 8-inch dish.
Dump the macadamia mixture onto the dish and smash down with your fingers until it's evenly dispersed.
 Next, drain the cashews and put in the food processor/blender along with the coconut oil, agave/syrup, lime juice, and vanilla extract until it becomes creamy. Add the water to help.
Pour the mixture over the crust, spreading evenly.


Freeze for at least 2 hours.
Once frozen, add the berries and you're good to go!

*Serve immediately. It melts quickly!

I also made this same dish for Mother's Day, and it was a big hit! However, I think I will keep experimenting with difference raw cheesecake recipes until I find the perfect one.




Other meals from the week:
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment