Image Map

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tofu Scramble

Personally, I can eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning and not get tired of it. But for those of you who are more into scrambled eggs or breakfast tacos, this is a vegan alternative for you. First off, let me say that I think people are too harsh on soy products. I am completely aware that soy is one of the highest genetically modified products, which I think scares a lot of people away. Also, there's some weird myth that soy makes you more feminine (I think you know what I'm talking about). So many people try to be like, "I can't believe you eat soy, it's so bad for you." 


1. Soy is in almost EVERYTHING. If it's processed, there is soy in it. There is soy in Oreos. There is soy in pre-made cake / brownie / cookie mixes. There is soy in almost all of the bread you buy. There is soy in cereal. There is soy in taco seasoning. There is soy in CHOCOLATE. If it's processed, there is a 98% chance that there is a derivative of soy in it. 

So it kind of annoys me when people say they don't eat soy and that I shouldn't be eating it, but in reality they probably are eating it everyday without realizing it. Next time you go to the store, read the ingredients on the back. Look for names like "soy lecithin," "soy protein isolate," "diglyceride," "monoglyceride," "textures vegetable protein (TVP)," and others. 

2. I personally believe that if you buy 100% organic, non-GMO certified (by the Non-GMO Project) that it is perfectly O.K. to eat soy. I look for this stamp of approval:


I think the main take away here is to research information for yourself. Don't believe that something is good / bad for you just because that's what someone told you. And that goes for what I say too. Don't just take my word for it. Look it up for yourself using credible sources. 

Ok, so now that I got that off my chest, let's get goin' with the recipe.


What you need:

1 package of organic, extra firm tofu
half red onion
bell pepper
zucchini
kale
tomatoes
mushrooms
(any veggie you want really)
cumin
turmeric
garlic


Method:

Slice up the onion and bell pepper and get it on your skillet (med-high)
While you're waiting for it to soften, open the package of tofu and drain out the water.
I then place the block of tofu on a paper towel to absorb some of the excess water.
Slice up the veggies you want and get them on the skillet
Using your hands, just crumble the tofu into the skillet and stir into the veggies.
Add you spices. I do a lot of cumin and just a little turmeric.

Once the vegetables are soft, you're ready to go. 
Add some salsa and wrap it in a tortilla for a breakfast taco.

If you would like to check out which products have received the stamp of approval from the non-GMO project, go to www.nongmoproject.org

To subscribe to my email list, scroll to the top of this post and look for "Follow by Email."

No comments:

Post a Comment